photo home-28.png photo about-36.png photo shop-10.png photo events-2.png photo create-1.png photo contact-30.png

Pumpkin Chili

A perfect fall comfort food




When fall comes, I get so excited for all the yummy traditional warm foods like soups and stews, warm breads, and treats.  And if I had to only pick one type of food to eat during the fall, I would easily pick soup.  There's just something cozy about a warm bowl of soup after a long, cold fall day.  Plus, there's always leftovers for the days that follow.  It's like the gift that keeps giving.

I was inspired to make this soup after we had a pumpkin soup at a restaurant.  This Pumpkin Chili is what I came up with.  It's vegan and gluten free, and so savory for those chilly fall days.  I served our soup with my mom's famous rolls, and it was a big hit with my kids+husband.  And in this case, we didn't really have any leftovers.

I started by dicing one yellow onion, and the skin of a jalapeno pepper.  No seeds.  I just slice the sides of the pepper and leave the inside.  I added those ingredients to my pot and saute in olive oil.  I also added my spices at this time to allow the oil to carry the depth of the spices.



Once this is done, and the onions have cooked down and are translucent, I add the stock, pumpkin puree, and coconut milk.  Make sure it's not pumpkin pie puree;).  Then add the rest of the ingredients (corn, potatoes,beans, green chilis).  Allow the pot to come to slight boil, and then reduce to a simmer to serve.  Garnish with a swirl of coconut milk, top with fresh jalapeno peppers, and enjoy!
xoxo

RECIPE DETAILS BELOW











Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 jalapeno 
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 can of green chilies
  • 1 can of black beans drained/rinsed
  • 2-3 large potatoes (baked with skin removed)
  • 1 large can of pure pumpkin (non-sweetened)
  • 1 pint chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 can coconut milk

Spices:
1/2 teaspoon of the following:
  • chilli powder
  • curry powder
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • paprika
  • cinnamon
  • salt
1 Tablespoon of the following:
  • cumin
  • corriander 
  • a touch of crushed red pepper (you can adjust this according to your heat preference)

1 comment:

  1. It looks delicious! I never ate such a dish, so as soon as I finish the renovation of my kitchen, I will start doing such unusual, wonderful things! :) Previously, my kitchen was not good for anything and I could not literally cook anything in it and I ate all the time in the city ... I recently found a home expert ( https://thehomeexpert.uk/offer/kitchens/modern-inspiration/ and we started to work in. Effects are going forward and it's great, I hope the effect will be the way I dreamed :)

    ReplyDelete

 

design + development by fabulous k